Awesome Apple Oatmeal Bread-Totally Hands Off
This apple oatmeal bread is the perfect vegan bread machine recipe. It combines healthy oatmeal, flaxseed, and apples with a touch of cinnamon and vanilla for a sweet treat you can feel good about!
Ingredients for Vegan Apple Oatmeal Bread
These simple ingredients are what you’ll need to make a fresh loaf at home:
- White All-purpose or bread flour. All-purpose works just fine for this recipe.
- Quick oats. Be sure not to use steel-cut oats or the large flake kind.
- Ground Flax. When flax is ground the nutrients are available to be digested. Grinding the flax also helps it to gel…making for a super soft crumb.
- Brown Sugar. I’ve used the regular Rogers Brown sugar here, but you could easily substitute coconut sugar if you prefer. Careful not to swap out any sugar-free sweeteners as the yeast needs the sugar to rise properly.
- Apples. Be sure to peel and dice the apple, removing the core and seeds. you’ll need 2/3 cup which is about 1 medium apple.
- Plant milk. I love Silk Soy milk. It’s nice and thick and creamy. You can use any plant-based milk you have on hand for this recipe.
- Vanilla. The vanilla adds such a delicious sweet flavor to this apple oatmeal loaf. Use good quality vanilla for the best flavor.
- Vegetable oil. The oil adds to the moisture of the loaf and contributes to a softer crumb. If you’d prefer to leave it out, go ahead and swap it for an extra 2 tbsp water. There is enough ground flax in this recipe to hold moisture in the loaf.
- Salt. Measure this ingredient carefully as it will interact with the yeast. Too little and you’ll have more rise, too much and you’ll get a short, compact loaf.
- Cinnamon. This ingredient also can interact with the yeast. Be sure to add it away from the yeast, especially if you are using the delay setting on the bread machine. You can do this by making a small hole in the flour to contain the cinnamon.
- Bread machine yeast. It’s very important you use bread machine or instant yeast in a bread maker. Traditional yeast will not work the same way.
Try these other Vegan Bread Machine Recipes Next:
- Sweet and Simple! Vegan Cinnamon Raisin Bread Maker Recipe!
- Vegan Pumpkin Bread
- Everyday vegan white bread (EASY bread maker recipe)
- Homestyle 100% Whole Wheat Vegan Bread
- 100% Whole Wheat Oil-Free Vegan Bread Machine Recipe
How to Make Apple Oatmeal Bread
It’s vitally important you follow the directions for your specific bread machine when it comes to adding ingredients.
I have the sunbeam bread maker and it recommends to add all of the liquid ingredients first, followed by the dry with the yeast on top.
You don’t need to add the diced apple in at a specific time. It’s okay to put the apple in at the same time as the rest of your ingredients.
Apple Oatmeal Vegan Bread Machine RecipeMegan Kerry
- Bread Machine
- 1/3 cup plant milk
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp neutral flavored oil
- 2/3 cup apples peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 1/3 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp bread machine or instant yeast
- Place all of the ingredients into your bread machines bread pan in the order recommended by your manufacturer.
- Select the "Basic Cycle" and 1.5 pound loaf settings
- Adjust the crust colour to your preference. I used the "light" crust setting
- Press start
- For a lower-calorie loaf, skip the oil and add 2 tbsp water instead. There is already plenty of flax in the recipe to add moisture.
- Be sure you are using “instant yeast” or “bread machine yeast”. Traditional yeast needs to be dissolved before adding to a bread recipe and it is not meant to be used in a bread machine.
- Be sure to keep the cinnamon and the yeast separate from each other especially if you are using a delayed setting on your machine. Cinnamon can impact how well the yeast will perform.
- Use the quick-cooking oats, not steel-cut oats.
- There is no need to add the apples in at a different time in the cycle. Just be sure to peel and cube them well. 2/3 cup of diced apple is about 1 medium apple.
Read this next….
10 Reasons to Make Your Own Bread at Home!
Here’s a perfect pin for your board so you can come back to this recipe when you’re ready!
Just made the Vegan Apple Oatmeal Bread in my Bread machine and it is delicious!!!! Will definitely be making again….so easy too. Thank you !
Thanks Sheryl! So glad you enjoyed it!